Lasagna is one of the best dishes ever invented – this is a strong and agreed upon belief at our place. The only issue is the amount of time and effort it takes to make. I think I do it once a year, and only for special occasions. That’s where lasagna cupcakes come in. You can make them on a week night in under 40 minutes. I made 36 the other night and put away 5 at a pretty impressive rate.
Because I only have one cupcake tin, I have to make one batch at a time. There are 2 benefits to this, one is the fact that you get to eat cupcakes while your next batch is baking. The other one is you can test out different portions of ingredients and methods to arrive at the perfect way to make them.
Here’s how I made my most successful batch:
1. Use wonton skins, the square ones. You can get a pack at most Asian grocery stores. I got mine from Mitsuwa.
2. Lay wonton skins into each cupcake holder and press down the bottom to be flat. I got best results layering 2 skins instead of one. That way you have a stronger base and your ingredients won’t roll off later.
3. Sprinkle the bottom with parmesan, then shredded mozarella, then ricotta.
4. Add ground beef (or a meat or veggie of your liking).
5. Top off with your favorite marinara sauce. Find one that’s chunkier versus all liquid to avoid leakage.
6. Sprinkle more parmesan on top if you like.
7. Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until wonton skins are nicely brown and crispy. During this time you can finely chop up some basil.
8. Let cool for 3 – 5 minutes.
9. Top with shredded basil.
A beautiful sight indeed. Enjoy!